[Gambas-user] Class Window in gb.qt4 vs gb.ncurses

Jesus ea7dfh at ...2382...
Sun May 5 12:19:59 CEST 2013

Hi Tobi and all

El 05/05/13 09:00, Tobias Boege escribió:
> On Sat, 04 May 2013, Jesus wrote:
>> Recently a friend of mine reported an issue that I'm not sure how to
>> explain correctly.
>>
>> He is making a terminal program that needs to print stuff on a real
>> printer, so it needs the gb.qt4 component to get access to the Printer
>> object. But also he needs to use gb.ncurses to do some neat presentation
>> in a terminal in a kind of interactive mode. Problem arises when the
>> *Window* class in gb.ncurses collides with the same class name in gb.qt4
>> (needed to gain access to printer functions) It seems that window class
>> in gb.qt4 surpasses the one in gb.ncurses.
>>
>> So, is it a known problem? Does anyone realized this "incompatibility"
>> when using both components at the same time?
>> Is there a way to use the printer without using gb.qt4?
>>

> I never thought of using a graphical component together with gb.ncurses. I
> never intended that :-)

Yes. The point is, how it is supposed to do printing from within
gb.ncurses without using the Printer object (found only inside graphical
components)?

We then should need to do this through CUPS or something, doesn't it?

The fact is my friend is trying to print a kind of report based in his
own classes that uses Draw and Paint to actually draw a report in a
drawing area when using the full program version, and the file
representing the report itself is interpreted and printed from an
stripped out version of the program that only works in console mode
(interactive curses interface). The logic of printing is the same for
both programs, so qt4 is needed to do all the stuff. Sources here [0].

> [...]
>
> What do you mean actually by "surpasses"? Is there an "incorrectly
> overridden" error or does the gb.qt4 Window just override[0] the gb.ncurses
> one? If the latter is the case, you can try to disable gb.ncurses and
> Component.Load() it manually at startup?

Right, the latter is the case. It makes them incompatible with each other.

> I promise that future control classes and a future Window class (using the
> CDK) are more built like their gb.qt4 models but for now think of gb.ncurses
> as a component that conflicts with other graphical components. I don't think
> compatibility can ever be achieved, though.

I think so, as well... but gb.ncurses programs would need to have a way
to print things. I remember old clipper database programs they were able
to print some kind of text based reports. It would be great if printing
could be based in actual drawing routines as qt4 does. But I understand
it probably never ever could be achieved.

> Anyway, good to know that someone can do "neat presentation"s with
> gb.ncurses :-)
>
> Regards,
> Tobi

Sorry, but finally he wasn't able to do something usable because of the
above reasons.

Honestly, I've never tried gb.ncurses. But I will do in the future, when
this is well documented ;-) My friend was complaining about complexity
and lack of documentation, but hey, we are very grateful of your work.
Really.

[0] http://forge.gambas-es.org/projects/printreport/repository

and the parent project here:

http://forge.gambas-es.org/projects/reportdesigner/repository