[Gambas-user] Class Window in gb.qt4 vs gb.ncurses

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sun May 5 09:00:10 CEST 2013

On Sat, 04 May 2013, Jesus wrote:
> Recently a friend of mine reported an issue that I'm not sure how to
> explain correctly.
>
> He is making a terminal program that needs to print stuff on a real
> printer, so it needs the gb.qt4 component to get access to the Printer
> object. But also he needs to use gb.ncurses to do some neat presentation
> in a terminal in a kind of interactive mode. Problem arises when the
> *Window* class in gb.ncurses collides with the same class name in gb.qt4
> (needed to gain access to printer functions) It seems that window class
> in gb.qt4 surpasses the one in gb.ncurses.
>
> So, is it a known problem? Does anyone realized this "incompatibility"
> when using both components at the same time?
> Is there a way to use the printer without using gb.qt4?

I never thought of using a graphical component together with gb.ncurses. I
never intended that :-) The thing is, the only way to make gb.ncurses'
TUI-graphical classes compatible with X-graphical classes is to insert dummy
methods and properties (e.g. Opacity, Picture) that do nothing and at the
same time to remove ncurses-specific functions (e.g. Print, Cls) which makes
it twice ungood. Removing such methods calls for something like a Draw class
as a replacement interface which doesn't make much sense as only text can be
displayed (there would be more dummy functions for the Draw class).

What do you mean actually by "surpasses"? Is there an "incorrectly
overridden" error or does the gb.qt4 Window just override[0] the gb.ncurses
one? If the latter is the case, you can try to disable gb.ncurses and
Component.Load() it manually at startup?

I promise that future control classes and a future Window class (using the
CDK) are more built like their gb.qt4 models but for now think of gb.ncurses
as a component that conflicts with other graphical components. I don't think
compatibility can ever be achieved, though.

Anyway, good to know that someone can do "neat presentation"s with
gb.ncurses :-)

Regards,
Tobi

[0] Here is what happens: