[Gambas-user] Restructuring the official Gambas examples

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Wed May 1 17:45:17 CEST 2013

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013, David Robertson wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 21:37 +0200, Tobias Boege wrote:
> > I'm still looking for people's opinions (or Bruce's criticism) to get a
> > representative consensus - maybe it's a flaw in our modern upbringing :-) -
> > because examples are things that all have to be content with and that I
> > don't want to change on the fly. (Sorry if this practice annoys anyone.)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
>
> Tobi, you wanted feedback. I am obviously strange, because in the three
> years I've been using Gambas I've looked at the examples four times and
> only once did they help. So I read the documentation :)
>
> Examples are obviously a good thing to have, but only to give you some
> ideas on what can (and maybe what cannot) be done with the language.
> More important is to get the documentation more complete.  Most of us
> probably won't be doing things with Gambas like multi-level class
> inheritance, and if you try to demonstrate everything by examples it
> will be impossible to direct the newbie to the right example easily. So
> the techniques used in the "Advanced" examples should be put in the
> documentation, in my view. Documentation is the key.
>
> Of course, having said that, I'll now have to do something to help with
> the documentation!
>
> Thanks for listening.

We cannot possibly put an "advanced" project (or a template of it) into the
documentation because, likely containing many source files, it tends to
consume too much space.

Personally, I remember playing around with the TreeView example the first
two weeks or so after being pointed to Gambas in school. I must have changed
each and every line and learned by trial and failure. I didn't even know
there was a documentation. OK, that's not the regular case I assume but
having projects you can actually alter and play around with makes learning
easier, IMO. It's not that examples only show you what can be done with
Gambas.

The documentation is another building site from my perspective and it's one
that a single person cannot possibly get right. Fortunately, you offered
your help :-) However, let's focus on something I really can achieve in a
relaxed month.

Regards,
Tobi