[Gambas-user] Who use gb.report ? (to all gambas users)

jm joem at ...2671...
Mon Jan 28 17:40:56 CET 2013

On Sun, 2013-01-27 at 02:02 -0800, Randall Morgan wrote:
> I have a machine running Gambas and using Apache as a proxy. This
> allowed me to develop web apps. This machine does not have open office
> installed and being a web server it wont get it. Not because I would
> have to pay for it, as you said it is free. But cost is not the only
> factor. HD space, processing power, limited ram, etc.. could all be
> factors for not installing an open office suite. Yet, it would be nice
> to generate reports on the machine for things like traffic and pages
> hits, file update times, etc...
>
> For this reason I think using the report module in Gambas is a better
> approach than scripting a solution in external tools.
>
> For most of my reporting and charting I currently use python modules.
> Python has great support for reporting and charting and creating most
> reports and charts is pretty simple. I would love to see such
> functionality added to Gambas.

Actually, I'm all for multi-solutions.
A built in report generator, python hooks and Libre Office hooks.

The reason I mention Libreoffice gambas link is that it would
turn gambas into industrial strength product overnight (not that it
isn't already in many a way!)

Imagine for example a gambas program producing a report using
Libreoffice that is a presentation with charts and facts extracted
for the day from a database, and then using something like espeak to
generate the sound file to talk through the presentation.
Such a thing could be mailed to all those interested.
Very little work for gambas developer if LibreOffice could be auto
piloted to do all the work.