[Gambas-user] Who use gb.report ? (to all gambas users)

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Sun Jan 27 11:02:53 CET 2013

I have a machine running Gambas and using Apache as a proxy. This
allowed me to develop web apps. This machine does not have open office
installed and being a web server it wont get it. Not because I would
have to pay for it, as you said it is free. But cost is not the only
factor. HD space, processing power, limited ram, etc.. could all be
factors for not installing an open office suite. Yet, it would be nice
to generate reports on the machine for things like traffic and pages
hits, file update times, etc...

For this reason I think using the report module in Gambas is a better
approach than scripting a solution in external tools.

For most of my reporting and charting I currently use python modules.
Python has great support for reporting and charting and creating most
reports and charts is pretty simple. I would love to see such
functionality added to Gambas.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM, jm <joem at ...2671...> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 17:17 -0800, Randall Morgan wrote:
>> I think the report module is a good thing. You can't always depend on
>> having the open office suite installed on the machine.
>
> You should be able to. Its not pay walled software.
> Its free software.
> And included in most distros.
>
>> I haven't used reports except for a couple small projects quite a
>> while ago. If it does not already contain plot abilities
>
> Libre office has many charting functions, as well as spreadsheets,
> presentations and drawing package.
>
>>  I would
>> like to see some of the same features found in matlibplot (python) for
>> generating nice plots and graphs. Or a seperate graphing
>> module added.

>> > I always wondered what the point of a 'report generator' is when
>> > you already have an open source office suit such as LibreOffice
>> > out there.
>> >
>> > All you would need to do is auto-pilot LibreOffice from Gambas programs
>> > and drive it with data generated from inside gambas. Then all the best
>> > reports in best laid out fonts, spreadsheets, presentations, etc, can be
>> > auto generated with all the hard work done LibreOffice!!
>> >
>> > Doubly better if the files that LibreOffice opens such as spread sheets
>> > can be processed to read the data from the spread sheet back into
>> > Gambas.
>> >
>> > Since source code is available for LibreOffice, I assume, its just a
>> > matter of telling LibreOffice developers to make some APIs (if they
>> > don't exist already) that oil this idea through to completion.
>> >
>> > The same idea would work with other software such as gimp to generate
>> > images, inkscape to generate vector graphics, LibreCAD to generate
>> > CAD files from Gambas, 3D files with openscad, custom copper shapes in
>> > KiCAD, Cheese to take photos, something to talk to evolution and
>> > calendar, etc..
>> >
>> > So in short, if you got source code, and you are not beholden on a
>> > third party to take the next step, then why not work with the other open
>> > source projects extend gambas to
>> > directly control some of the more common packages with emphasis on
>> > the transfer of data back and forth? Report generation is a small and
>> > outdated idea that we forget it only applies to software that has been
>> > walled. Everything that a report generator does is a duplication of
>> > what a word processor already does. And its unlikely to beat it.
>> >
>> > If it were down to me, I'd get rid of anything that looks like
>> > binary data, and make all transfer of data through
>> > simple text files which can be more readily inspected and debugged.

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be
done. The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how
long will it take?