[Gambas-user] Debian repo on a dedicated server

Sebastian Kulesz sebikul at ...626...
Thu Feb 21 08:30:03 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Willy Raets <willy at ...2734...>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've seen a discussion passing on a Debian repo I believe Sebikul made
> for Gambas 3.3.4 (based on Kendeks packages but for ARM ?)

I did, but it didn't receive much attention,

> Having no Gambas3 repository with a recent Gambas3 version is quite
> problematic if you want to distribute user installation packages to end
> users on Debian.
>
> Sholzy (the man behind the Gambas Forum) has moved all to a dedicated
> server. The Gambas Project Network (see links in my signature) is also
> on the same server.
>
> Having a dedicated server Sholzy wants to set up repositories for
> Gambas3 and asked us on our needs.
>
> For Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros we have Kendek (our saviour..)
> Fedora has 3.3.4 in official repos
> openSuSe has the Mundix repo
>
> Debian Wheezy is stuck at 3.1.1 in it's official repo and for Debian 6.0
> you'll have to do with Gambas2 (although I managed using PPA Kendek to
> install Gambas from 3.3.2 onward)
>
> So Debian seems what we need most in the main distros. But we have no
> clue on how to set up a Debian repo, nor how to make Gambas packages for
> the repo.
>
> Anyone with experience willing to take on this part of setting up a
> Gambas3 Debain repo (if needed a Daily builds as well) and make the
> Gambas packages that go there?

I found the process ***really*** time consuming. Let me explain, gambas
takes about 30-45 minutes to build from scratch, even more because you have
to build from a chroot, which adds some overhead. You have to build a
package for each architecture for each Debian version (and not screw up, as
you would have to rebuild everything again). I can't afford having my work
PC building a whole day, and me controlling the process.

Forget about Daily Builds, if you can't find a service like Launchpad which
provides automatic code imports and a build farm which does *all* the work,
the repository will fall days behind trunk, and will be a pain in the a**
to maintain. You would also have to write a lot of scripts to automate the
process. AND, you would need a dedicated server to build the packages,
unless you want to toast the server with the first request it gets while
compiling.

Wait!! i'm not saying it's impossible, or that it should't be done. What
i'm saying is that i found little or no interest at all when i came up with
the idea, and that i could't use that much time and resources. If you
really want to go through with this, i'm in !!

The only available tool i know of that can do the work is reprepro [0].
Beware, it wont be easy to use.

Let me know what you think.

[0] http://mirrorer.alioth.debian.org/