[Gambas-user] Need Gambas3 Made Apps.

Thu Feb 7 17:36:12 CET 2013

Hi Tobias,

following your thread, I found

 > About soft(ware?) for media (streams?), that's a point I would
support: I'm
 > not aware of easy methods for bit-fiddling or using SIMD, etc. like
one can
 > do it with gcc intrinsics. If there a library for it (I don't know) this
 > could be a target for a component.

But one could write the functions in C or C++ and include them as a
library. At the end of the day, there is an end user who wants to use
the functionality, not the functions.

I simply wondered about what you said here, so I'm curious:

> That clearly depends on _how_ you use the files. This is the same with all
> programming languages: Never read a file into memory for processing it but
> use a Stream instead. The number of files opened and their size should not
> matter then.

I must confess, this is the first time I've heared about this. Could you
explain, where is the difference and how do I manage the data in the
file then? A pointer to the bytes? And how do I read/write while working
on the data? (I'm thinking of picture manipulation or a video cutting
program, real big data, not a text file of course, or did I get you
wrong here?)

Rolf