[Gambas-user] Need Gambas3 Made Apps.

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Wed Feb 6 21:15:16 CET 2013

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013, Willy Raets wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-02-06 at 09:04 +0100, Fabien Bodard wrote:
> > Hi, John... please tell here what are your hurry needs !
>
> Hi Fabien,
>
> Since John hasn't replied yet I'll try to explain.
> We will take a standard distro and strip if from a lot of applications
> to make it light weight. We'll have Gambas3 pre installed on the distro and some guides in pdf sitting on the desktop.
> Next to the Software Center where you can install all common application it will have a separate Gambas3 software center (see project ShowCase) and a Gambas3 application repository.
> >From here Gambas3 applications can be installed directly on the distro (think point of view of an end user).
>
> Next we will try to replace applications present on the distro by Gambas3 applications.
> These applications will of course be pre-installed on the distro replacing the original ones and will also be in the ShowCase (Gambas3 Software Center so to speak)
>
> So we would like:
> - Gambas3 Calculator
> - Gambas3 Text Editor
> - Gambas3 Image Viewer
> - Gambas3 Pdf Viewer
> - Gambas3 Webbrowser
> - Gambas3 MoviePlayer
> and such..
>
> They need to be GNU Version 3 licensed.
> Developers of the application will of course be mentioned as contributors in the GambOS project.
>
> Any questions, just post them..

Hmm. I want to add some point for consideration: What do you want to do
exactly again?

I mean: you talk about "end users" as your target group but who would use
GambOS/Orca? End users supposedly don't want the software they're accustomed
to being replaced by unknown software from a small community (which
indicates that it is most probably not widely tested).

At least I wouldn't change my preferred, customised editor (etc.) for some
other one (after all there's a reason why it is my _preferred_ editor).

It would take lots of time to replace, e.g. Firefox with its features by a
"WaterGambas" surrogate browser or suchlike - without any use in it because
the software was already there and the user doesn't really care about the
name or programming language it was written in.

Now, if it's a distribution for (beginning) Gambas programmers specifically,
I would rather call it a _research project_ among the Gambas user community
and then you should try to replace as much as you can by software written in
Gambas whose sources can be as easily downloaded as their binaries
installed. This seems to be your actual goal to me.
(At least that's the kind of project I would see a sense in.)

And: Don't be so pathetic. You don't need to be a guru to install Gambas ;-P

Regards,
Tobi