[Gambas-user] gb.logging API change

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Mon Dec 16 07:15:24 CET 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 01:14 -0200, Sebastian Kulesz wrote:
> I just commited an update to the gb.logging component. Please note that a
> call to Logger.Begin() is no longer necessary and will fail. The log is
> automatically opened for writing when creating the logger.
>
> A recent change, too, is the ability to use the component without creating
> a Logger instance. If you call Logger.Log(...) a new, hidden instance will
> be created for you. This is useful if you only need one Logger and use it
> in multiple Modules/Classes of you application. It will save you a public
> variable and a few LOC.

Grraaaaaagh! I just spent several hours working up a solution for
logging to a single log across multiple components/libraries.

One question, is there any change to the parameters? AKA where does the
log info get sent to when using the hidden instance?

> Also, it is now possible to redirect the Logger output to stderr ;)
>
> Hope you like it! Please let me know any thoughts!

I have been thinking (hard to believe!) about some kind of scheme for
logging to multiple files. Some ideas were to
a) use the cron approach i.e. 3 logs "error", "info" and "warning" but
probably "error", "info" and "debug" would be better suited to a
development system like Gambas.
b) similar to a) but allow configuration as to what level message goes
to which log.

Here on our production stuff we really need to keep errors & warnings
very separate from the info log(s) as they need high visibility (i.e. if
error.log is not empty then everyone panic!), the "info" logs are of two
types, general "this got done and that got done and this is what came
out" data and audit data (bluh!) and we really need the "debug.log" on
the dev/fix side of things.

The other thing I would like to see is a way to increase the number of
levels of detail once we get down to the "debug" level. This would be on
an application basis.

cheers
Bruce