[Gambas-user] Where are the examples in gambas 3.5.1?

Carl Nilsson nilsson at ...1979...
Thu Dec 5 13:32:24 CET 2013

G'day Matti and all:
Now I do have a success story.  This correspondence is really on the
wrong forum - it is not really an issue for Gambas, as most of you
realised from the start. It is an issue for openSUSE and those who
make up distros and Linux novices like myself. After putting in as
much time as I could take in front of the computers over the last few
days, I finally have gambas3 properly installed under openSUSE
12.2.  It should not be such a struggle. Under the distros for
openSUSE available in either the munix9 repo (gambas 3.5.1) or the
opensuse Education repo (gambas 3.4.1), four gb major components had
missing dependencies in my partly-installed openSUSE
12.2/i586/.  These were (in gambas 3.4.1) image-imlib, sdl, v4l and
examples.  As best as I noted, image-imlib needed imlib2, sdl needed
libogg, v4l needed v4l-tools and v4l-tools needed tv-common. Most of
my time was spent surfing around looking for suitable packages.  For
a Linux novice, this can be quite daunting.  It's a bit like being
lost in a forest without a compass that you can trust and use.  There
are plenty laying around, but they all point in different
directions!  Some posts said it was absolutely necessary to compile
and install imlib2 from a tarball, for example.  I tried that, got it
compiled but apparently not correctly installed.  In turned out that
imlib2 needed libjpeg, libpng, freetype 2.1.x and then libmlib2-1,
all to be separately found and installed. etc etc.  Then a
breakthrough - yet another net search brought me back near my
starting point, to software.opensuse.org/search.  That /search
facility proved my lifesaver, it came up with apt (or was it app?)
packages for the missing dependencies that installed
automatically.  The imlib for gambas3 was the hardest nut for me to
crack.  I still don't know if I will actually need it or not, as I
won't be processing images with my own project, but I was determined
to get it in.  Once that was done, 'examples' jumped in of its own
accord. I learned a bit more about Linux and of course, that is only
scratching at the surface.  At last I'm under the skin of my Linux
and starting in on Gambas.  Talk to you some more later on,
Matti.  Thanks for responding.
Carl

At 12:04 AM 3/12/2013, you wrote:
>G'day Matti:
>I don't have a success story to report yet, but I have not been idle
>and thought I should report.
>I spent quite some time looking at that 'versions' tab.  Couldn't
>actually do anything with it until later today when I realised that
>only some packages had alternate versions from which to
>choose.  Couldn't install/choose either a complete set of gambas
>3.5.1 or 3.4.1.  (snip)

Carl S Nilsson
137 Gordons Hill Road
Lindisfarne, Tas.