[Gambas-user] Semi-persistent pop-up form?

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Sun Dec 1 11:28:08 CET 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 16:12 +0100, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 12/11/2013 00:19, Bruce a écrit :

> >> Look at the Window.Utility property.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>

> > Wonderful!  Almost there. The only problem I have left (ha-ha!) is
> > moving the main form to another virtual desktop. In LXDE I can drag the
> > main form to the next or prior desktop (or use the window menu "Send to
> > Desktop"), I presume that there are equivalent features on other
> > desktops, I've just forgotten.
> >
> > When I do this with the "utility" window open it moves the main form
> > correctly but leaves the utility on the original desktop.
> >
> > This may be an LXDE or OpenBox issue, but I thought maybe someone has
> > got an idea.
> >
> > tia
> >

> This may be a window manager issue: on KDE, if you move the main window
> on another virtual desktop, the utility window follows.
>
> Check which gui component you actually use: gb.qt4 or gb.gtk. If you use
> gb.gui, define the GB_GUI environment variable to "gb.qt4" or "gb.gtk".
>
> The problem may come from that (i.e. the toolkit may not give enough
> information to the window manager to let him decide what to do with the
> utility window).
>
> On X11, the window manager job is... managing windows. The application
> must not deal with that. So if the window manager is not very clever,
> you have problems like that!

Yep, it's definitely an LXDE "feature". :-(
I've tried it in various vm's using different window managers and mainly
they work.  The utility window follows the main window across the
desktops.

I think the answer is in your last sentence. The LXDE wm is by design
"not very clever" (actually I'll change that to "not too clever, but
does expose a lot of portland stuff that can be used").  It is a pity
that the portland project now seems to be very defunct and each and
every distro seems to be creating their own variant of the scripts.

On the other hand (!!! :-) )I do like the fact that gambas is carrying
its' own portland script versions. This means that I _can_ tailor the
(local) gb.desktop versions to work properly without having to muck
about with the client's distro version.

Let's call this one "over and done".

cheers
Bruce