[Gambas-user] GAMBAS PATH

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sun Aug 11 18:22:19 CEST 2013

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013, Antonio S?nchez wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback, Tobias.
> If the interpreter is the same, it is not useful for the purposes mentioned
> above.
> If I understand correctly, your patch gets to locate your program
> components in other place. But it is not useful in a system with a diferent
> version of gambas than yours.
>
> Gambas use 3 paths: /usr/bin, /usr/share/gambas and /usr/lib/gambas
>
> It would be great if you could create a directory in a flash drive, for
> example:
>
> .../gambas342/share/
> .../gambas342/lib/
> .../gambas343/bin/
>
> ...copy all files and take that particular version of GAMBAS anywhere and
> with a GB_PATH=".../gambas342/" before your program, it know where look for
> GAMBAS interpreter. If you exclude examples, you'd have a portable version
> of gambas below 15Mb. And you have the security your program runs
> everywhere and for a long time.
> Now, the policy for programs made with GAMBAS is a sad "upgrade or die" and
> it is a real shame you can't run programs because the version of your
> distribution is too low or too high for your program.

If you apply that patch and export GAMBAS_ROOT=.../gambas342/, your gbx3
will not use /usr but .../gambas342 instead to search for its stuff (most of
its stuff). I think this is what you wanted, no?

As I said, I don't think that you can create a well-behaving portable Gambas
distribution as there are some hardcoded uses of the /usr prefix in the
source code of at least the IDE. These portions will likely fail when you
execute your portable Gambas in an environment where no normal Gambas is
installed.

Regards,
Tobi