[Gambas-user] GAMBAS PATH

Antonio Sánchez introlinux at ...626...
Sun Aug 11 17:54:31 CEST 2013

Thanks for your feedback, Tobias.
If the interpreter is the same, it is not useful for the purposes mentioned
above.
If I understand correctly, your patch gets to locate your program
components in other place. But it is not useful in a system with a diferent
version of gambas than yours.

Gambas use 3 paths: /usr/bin, /usr/share/gambas and /usr/lib/gambas

It would be great if you could create a directory in a flash drive, for
example:

.../gambas342/share/
.../gambas342/lib/
.../gambas343/bin/

...copy all files and take that particular version of GAMBAS anywhere and
with a GB_PATH=".../gambas342/" before your program, it know where look for
GAMBAS interpreter. If you exclude examples, you'd have a portable version
of gambas below 15Mb. And you have the security your program runs
everywhere and for a long time.
Now, the policy for programs made with GAMBAS is a sad "upgrade or die" and
it is a real shame you can't run programs because the version of your
distribution is too low or too high for your program.