[Gambas-user] Another "good" idea but no real ideas

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Tue Apr 30 09:41:06 CEST 2013

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013, Bruce wrote:
> I saw something the other day, it was a multi-windowed terminal in which
> each window was running a separate shell. I have attached a mock up of
> what I was seeing.
> At the time I didn't think a great deal about it, but today it turns out
> that something like that would be a great solution to a local problem,
> i.e. "tail"-ing several log files in a program that runs continuously or
> for some time. I have the technology to manage the several logging
> streams from the program but setting up multiple terminals manually to
> follow the output (to Temp() files is painful.
>
> So
> a) would it be possible to create something like this in gambas, i.e. a
> form with multiple "terminal" windows in it, each running it's own shell
> b) how the heck would one approach it?
>
> regards
> Bruce
> (in "blind-Bambi" mode)

I never really used that control but this looks like you could use an
Embedder[0] to make another application work for you from inside your
window. This would be a totally lazy approach :-)

If you want your own terminal window to not be so dependent on the presence
of other software, you can write a form and use Workspace[1]. A few days ago
I saw that we also can do

hForm = New FMyForm(dwgDrawingArea)

and it works like a charm. Why implement custom controls when we can easily
compose windows and instantiate them to a DrawingArea? :-)

Anyways, with these two ways, it shouldn't be that difficult to get a view
(and function) very similar to the picture.

Regards,
Tobi

[0] http://gambasdoc.org/help/comp/gb.qt4/embedder?v3
[1] http://gambasdoc.org/help/comp/gb.form.mdi/workspace?v3