[Gambas-user] Gambas error messages

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Sep 22 00:53:58 CEST 2012

Le 22/09/2012 00:18, jm a écrit :
> So when I typed gambas2 and it didn't work,
> I typed gambas2 --help.
>
> Naturally that won't work because it a sym link.
>
> But nearly all other Linux commands do something
> when you type --help.
>
> e.g
> firefox --help
> konqueror --help
> ssh --help
> ls --help
>
> Anyway I then tried gbr2 --help after realizing what was
> happening.
>
> That also does not work because gambas
> doesn't have any normal Linux command line
> friendly options.
>
> As gambas gets ported to more and more ARM and future
> distros, there will be more and more problems like this.
>
> If gambas had --help, and also something like a -v n
> for verbosity level n in command line, then it will
> be easier to debug in environments where the IDE
> has not started up yet.
> If the verbose messages are cleverly worded in unique ways, then
> when they get pasted into forums, they start
> seeding google with messages that can be searched for
> and the fixes become more easy to find. And duplication of effort
> will also reduce.

gambas2 or gambas3 programs has no options and take just one argument,
the project to open. So having an "--help" option will not be print
something really useful. But I can admit that point, and could make an
"--help" option.

Anyway, why do you think that if gambas2 or gambas3 has an "--help"
option, it will be easier for me to fix the bugs on a specific
architecture? A "-v" verbosity option will not be useful too. It exists
already actually, it is the debugger.

And last question: why don't you do what is explained on the "Reporting
a problem" page of the website as I told you in a previous mail? Which
is what is useful to help fixing bugs.

I won't fix Gambas 2 for ARM, but will for Gambas 3. It already works on
two ARM architectures, so it should not be a big deal to make it work or
a third one, a fourth one, until ARM becomes more "standardized"...
provided that you give me the needed information!

Benoît Minisini