[Gambas-user] Using Gambas for Apache cgi - SOLVED

Thu Sep 20 16:00:23 CEST 2012

Am 20.09.2012 10:27, schrieb Rolf Schmidt:
> Hi Rolf-Werner,

>>> All files must be accessible by the user/group the apache is running
>>> with. On Debian systems it is www-data:www-data. Make a chown on your
>>> files. Never give the files executable right for everybody.
>>
>> Just tried it this way, but it doesn't help. Strange...
>>
>> You mean the .gambas files, right? Not env, gbr, gbx etc.?
>>
>> There is a test/test.cgi in the cgi-bin, it's not www-data:www-data and
>> it runs fine. The .gambas file does run when started from a terminal, so
>> the Gambas side seems to work fine. Apache seems to find the .gambas
>> file and start it. It all boils down to some misunderstanding of Apache
>> with how to handle it.
>
> Try to login as root and than do a "su - apache" or to the system
> account the apache runs under (perhaps you can find the account in "top"
> or with "ps"). Then start you program in the terminal - you now have all
> the rights an apache server has - and see what happens. Helpfull may be
> a "tail -f" on the apache error file, to see what goes wrong, when you
> do some thing. This is a method to check if you have problems with
> user/group rights, as the error message you posted suggests.
>
> Grüße
> Rolf

Arrgh - after some googling and reading (pretty old) discussions, I
finally found the reason for this:

The .gambas file has to be of the same user:group as the cgi-bin or - to
be more precise - the as test.cgi (still different group).

And boom! it's running :-)

Thanks for all your help and time and patience and sorry for the noise,
guys!

Rolf