[Gambas-user] Big change in revision #5382

Wed Nov 28 17:25:49 CET 2012

Am 28.11.2012 17:06, schrieb Benoît Minisini:
> Le 28/11/2012 16:52, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :
>>> I was talking about the Draw class compatibility, not the Printer class.
>>> The new Printer class is different and will stay different.
>>
>> That's kinda shame because it means I have to organize two different
>> ways of drawing with two separate drawing procedures for each of them.
>> But as I haven't started yet I might be over-estimating the effort.
>> We'll see :-)
>>
>> I asked because in the help, when you type Paint and press F2, it says:
>>
>> This class is used for doing anti-aliased painting on the following objects:
>> Picture.
>> Image.
>> DrawingArea.
>> Printer.
>> SvgImage.
>>
>> So I thought I had one and the same complex of methods now to be able to
>> organize drawing in a DrawingArea and in a Printer. Or am I thinking in
>> the wrong direction here?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Rolf
>>

> Did you really read my initial mail? Now the Draw class is emulated
> through the Paint class. Consequently, it works on printers, so your old
> Gambas 2 code that draws on a printer with the Draw class can be used
> now with Gambas 3. But not the code that uses the Printer class! But it
> should not be a big deal as logically, you are drawing a print page by
> page...

Yes I did read it, but I think I didn't fully understand.

I guess, this is a hint that helps me sorting out how to reactivate the
old code. Thanks for your time.

But I don't want to conservate the old code by all means, I am willing
to adapt the stuff to the new environment. The only thing I hope to
solve is the question of code organisation. And this is something you
cannot do for me anyway :-)

So on the one hand, it's nice to have a quick way to adapt the old code
to the emulation IF you really are in need of a Gambas 3 feature; but
the old version still runs fine as long as I maintain it within the
Gambas 2 environment. So on the long run it appears wiser to reorganise
the stuff altogether and make it native Gambas 3.

Regards

Rolf