[Gambas-user] The "Shell" Command

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Sat Nov 10 13:56:06 CET 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 14:31 +0200, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:

>         > No. Something is wrong.
>

>         The only thing wrong is that you have to mark the .gambas file
>         as
>         executable in the properties when right clicking it :-)
>
>         Happens on more Ubuntu based distros..

But this does not seem to be Johns problem.

> No, that should be completely automatic.

That depends, this is what happens.

When making an executable from IDE and run it on same system, no
problem. When distributing this executable to another distro it needs to
be made executable before it runs(I mainly run al kinds of Debian/Ubuntu
based distros)

So in short, the executables run default on the system they are made on,
but not default on systems they are distributed to.

I even know that for openSuSe they always need to make a symbolic link
of executables I send them for testing before they will run.
Even thought Gambas and IDE are installed on the openSuse. When making
an executable on the openSuse it always runs (no symbolic link
required).

I always thought this is default behaviour caused by distributing the
executable to another system where it wasn't made.

> Jussi

Willy