[Gambas-user] About library and component packaging in Gambas 3

Bruce Bruen bbruen at ...2308...
Tue May 1 14:01:05 CEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 12:22 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > I tried using the Mandriva and Fedora RPM based packaging, which
> > allowed me to create proper looking distribution packages, but ...
> >
> > When I tested the installation locally I run into the following
> > problem. There is a dependency requirement on "gambas-runtime"
> > version 3.blahblah ... This makes sense except that there is no
> > "gambas-runtime" for my home made system, I build and install from
> > the source archive. Also, this is how we have set it (gambas) up on
> > all the client's machines. Is there a way to remove this dependency
> > from being included in the RPM package build?
>

> A binary package system relies of being used totally. You cannot have
> some of the dependencies outside of it (i.e. installed from sources), it
> breaks the system.
>
> This is the reason why Gambas should be packaged eveywhere. :-/

This, of course, makes perfect sense in a binary distro world.
All I can say is "Such is life!". ("Cest la vie?" ??? I dunno, my high
school French memories seem to have faded.)

Sigh! I suppose that I, or one of the code-pixies, are going to learn
how to package Gambas itself.  :-)

rgrds
Bruce