[Gambas-user] (no subject)

Tue Mar 20 15:46:02 CET 2012

Hi Mathias,

> GTK (the frontend that gambas can use) works perfectly under Windows.

Wasn't Qt made for use with Windows, too?

> I'm not a Windows user, but wouldn't it be great if you could sell your
> product to Windows users?
> Without porting your code? Because, if the interpreter is ported, your code
> would stay the same, the interpreter knows what to do with it on the
> Windows platform.

If it really was so easy :-)

Just think of streams, files and their rights, "System.User.Home" or
date/time... The problem is not the GUI and some links to manage a
DropBox, but it's the bunch of inner functions that make you program in
Gambas. I do not have that much idea about the whole problem, but I
think this is the bigger problem. So a transparent layer to the Windows
world of each and every function would probably solve these things, but
it would make Gambas programs run slowly like VB.net.

Currently I'm sitting in front of a Linux with Gambas2 and are
programming for my own business. Years ago, my brother-in-law has got a
small order management programmed in VB 3 for his Windows machines from
me. It's still running under XP on one of his machines, but now I'm
making a new one (which is urgently needed).

This time, I use Gambas2. Yes, it would be definitely easier for me if I
could program this beast on my Linux system and just copy it to his
machine. But it will be possible to somehow get a Linux running on his
office PC for this, as it's mainly my wife and sister-in-law who are
working with it, and my wife has a Linux on her laptop and knows it ;-)

What springs up to my mind here is Scribus (do you know it?). Great
stuff. They had the same discussion couple of years ago and decided to
give it a try. Now it runs flawlessly in all the three worlds, Linux,
Mac and Windows, and this was not the last reason for its growing
popularity.

So don't get me wrong, I'd appreciate the idea, but I think it's a
pretty hard way to go. It might pay in the end, but you have to really
be there first. The folks on this list, however, are not the proper
audience because they WANT to program for Linux. When this idea has
matured, it may attract additional users. This was what I saw happening
for the Scribus community.

Just my 2 cents...

Rolf