[Gambas-user] WebPage support in Gambas

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Mon Mar 19 17:31:35 CET 2012

On 03/18/2012 01:16 PM, John Spikowski wrote:
> I have found that it is more difficult to get folks to try your software
> if it means needing admin privileges and installing frameworks not used
> by any other applications. I would guess the best approach would be is

To be honest, that's largely why I develop primarily for the web now.
All the end user needs is a 0-3 year old web browser, or if I design
carefully, a smartphone or tablet.

The only solutions you have for a single-file stand-alone program under
Linux are a statically linked C/C++ app (which will be enormous) or
something with a self-contained app wrapper like tcl/tk (which is awful
to program in, and will make your app look like it came with Windows
95). I remember efforts to make statically linked versions of Python and
Ruby for this purpose, but I imagine for graphical apps you'd run into
the same dependency issues as Gambas.

> to use Gtk components for a demo version of your application which would
> minimize the install time of dependencies. How big is the Gambas
> runtime?

$ time sudo apt-get install gambas2-runtime
[...]
  gambas2-runtime
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 193 kB of archives.
After this operation, 602 kB of additional disk space will be used.

So you're correct, the bulk of the dependencies will be the components.
On the other hand, on my system, "apt-get install gambas2-ide" wants to
install 15.2MB of packages totaling 50MB when uncompressed. Most of it
seems to be Qt.

Rob