[Gambas-user] Access global variable from other .class

tobi tobiasboege01 at ...1601...
Fri Jun 15 22:49:50 CEST 2012

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
> > If I remember correctly, you can even save more work by using gb.desktop,
> > Desktop.RunAsRoot() which
> > builds on top of the portland xdg scripts.
> >

> Before writing anything I should always check what gb.desktop contains...
>
> But there seems to be bugs.
>
> I tried 'Desktop.RunAsRoot("whoami")'.
> All I got is: " xdg-su: no graphical method available for invoking 'whoami'
> as 'root'"
>
> I have gksudo installed ( in /usr/bin/gksudo ) and working.
> So perhaps Gambas ships broken version of this script..?
>
> Also "xdg-screensaver activate" doesn't work (Desktop.ScreenSaver.Activate).
> Either the version of that script already installed to my system (xdg-su
> wasn't installed at all).
>
> Xubuntu 12.04 64 bit.
> Screensaver in use is XScreenSaver 5.15, and GKsu is version 2.0.2.
>
> Jussi

Yes, I was surprised, too, when I saw lately how gb.desktop grew since I last had a look at it.
There seem to be a lot of people who want to run programs as root, it's always the same problem to
solve...

I don't know about the scripts, I personally didn't need them so far but they are distributed in the
gb.desktop/src/gb.desktop/xdg-utils/ directory in the source tree. If there is a bug, you might be
able to spot it yourself - at least xdg-su seems not really complicated, even to me who is not used
to shell scripting to that extend.

Regards,
Tobi