[Gambas-user] QtBasic = Q7Basic some interesting features

Demosthenes Koptsis demosthenesk at ...626...
Wed Jun 13 18:21:00 CEST 2012

As i see the project so far is in baby state.

First of all it is rewritten from KBasic with some new features to Q7Basic.
It is cross platform for Linux, Mac, Windows and can make machine
executables.

It has poor documentation, yes, and i dont know the rate of growing.

I mean that i saw KBasic from 2004 and it has poor growing rate until
now, the docs are at the same old poor state etc.

Also it lacks of community feedback and contributions, it has no mailing
list, just a forum and this makes the growing more difficult.

i hope that the idea to be a QtBasic, that is, a Basic binding for Qt is
an excellent idea. It supports all objects of Qt.

Also the ability to write C++ code inside Basic code is very good feature.
You can use any C++ lib and function.

Another thing is that the project is open source with dual license, one
is GPL and another commercial.
But for no linux os it is sold as private open source software.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

For Linux OS is given without charge.

That is accepted and it is the commercial proposal of Stallman in order
to make profit from open source.

For me the idea of QtBasic is so attractive and i hope to see good releases.

In comparison with Gambas, Gambas is in a mature state and is the
working Basic for Linux so far with no serious competition, in my point
of view.

The feature that transform Basic to C++ is very good.
If someone is a Basic Developer only that is no big deal but for a
company which wants portabillity it can has all their project to C++ also.

The Basic developer stays in basic version with no problem.