[Gambas-user] Problems building Gambas3 on Mageia2

RICHARD WALKER richard.j.walker at ...247...
Thu Jun 7 00:17:57 CEST 2012

On 06/06/2012, Matteo Pasotti <matteo.pasotti at ...626...> wrote:
> there's http://gambasdoc.org/help/install/mageia?v3 to know how to
> build gambas3 on Mageia.
> Two devel packages was missing: gsl-devel and qtwebkit-devel, now it
> should be almost complete.
> Let us know if something is missing.

I used that page to compare with the buildrequires in the mga2 source
rpm for Gambas 3.1.1.
There are quite a few differences, but as I already had executed urpmi
--buildrequires [...].mga2.rpm the two libraries you mention were
indeed already installed.

My difficulty is in building revision #4809, or rather, it builds
without obvious fault and then makes a mess of the install. My latest
result is an apparently faultless install (don't ask how I achieved
that, I thought I was repeating a known failing method) but still no
obvious evidence that Gambas 3 is really there. There is nothing in
the menu, desktop shortcuts to the ide and to a few pre-compiled
Gambas 3 projects produce no visible result and executing gambas3 in a
console produces the strangest error message:

[richard at ...2863... gambas3-sources]$ gambas3
gbr3: no project file in '/usr/bin/gambas3'.

I have reached tether's end with this one. I had just decided to
update from subversion again when I saw your reply. My intention was
to check out a fix for a bug on xinerama screens which Benoît had
committed in revision #4808. The Big Plan was to analyse the fix and
see if I could derive a patch to apply to MGA2's version 3.1.1, and
then submit that to the maintainer so I could go on using stock Mageia
packages for Gambas (I know my brother would benefit from the fix
too).

So, if you have no startling insight into why the built gb.qt4 and
gb.xml stuff is not installing (every time) and why the installed
gambas3 is babbling on about a Gambas project file being missing, then
I think I will dump this revision and try tonight's available
offering.

I might sound grumpy, but I am actually having fun!

Richard