[Gambas-user] Window position error on applying stored "geometry"

RICHARD WALKER richard.j.walker at ...247...
Tue Jun 5 04:23:52 CEST 2012

> I am using two tools which are packaged for Mageia, so should be
> fairly common in most distros; Xephyr and Xdmx - both X-servers. The
> difficulty is in getting the magic right for input events.  More, as
> soon as...

Success. I eventually ran into a bit of a brick wall trying to use
Xdmx as the xinerama "harness" for the two Xephyr screens. The only
sane way to use it (and it works) is with a dummy console used to
track the mouse cursor. Getting the keyboard to work was problematic.
In the end I tripped over another way of faking xinerama on a single
Xephyr screen.

I present to you a short bash script which will start a Xephyr X
server with dimensions you choose which will be split (invisibly) into
two pseudo-monitors by a specially crafted fake libXinerama (source
linked in the bash script) and user-specific ~/.fakexinerama
configuration file.

I can confirm that this environment will demonstrate the issue with my
test-bed project, though you will have to judge for yourself where the
second half of the xinerama screen starts:-)
I had to tweak the project a tiny bit to try to accommodate the
changed screen resolution as I use a form width and height check to
tell me if the previous run had crashed - sloppy, yes; sorry? Yes.
Quick and dirty, but it'll do, I reckon.

Richard