[Gambas-user] Installing runtime in Centos6

Jesus ea7dfh at ...2382...
Sat Jun 2 19:48:00 CEST 2012

El 02/06/12 14:41, Bruce escribió:
> On Sat, 2012-06-02 at 14:03 +0200, Jesus wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Well, a friend of mine is running into problems to have the Gambas3
>> runtime installed on a VPS server running Centos6.
>>
>> It seems to be a kind of mismatch with libc6 versions, so if someone
>> have a clue about what's going on here, he will be grateful.
>>
>> This is a grep for libc related packages currently on that system:
> A grep of what?

Mmm, actually I don't know where this list come from...

>> glibc-devel-2.5-81.el5_8.2
>> compat-glibc-headers-2.3.4-2.26
>> libcap-devel-1.10-26
>> compat-libcom_err-1.0-7
>> glibc-2.5-81.el5_8.2
>> libcap-1.10-26
>> glibc-2.5-81.el5_8.2
>> glibc-devel-2.5-81.el5_8.2
>> compat-glibc-2.3.4-2.26
>> libcroco-0.6.1-2.1
>> glibc-headers-2.5-81.el5_8.2
>> libc-client-2004g-2.2.1
>> libcroco-devel-0.6.1-2.1
>> glibc-common-2.5-81.el5_8.2
>>
>> Now, when trying to install the rpm package:
> which rpm package? where did it come from?  Fedora what/ which repo?
>>
>> rpm -i server/gambas3-runtime.rpm
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>           libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit) is needed by
>> gambas3-runtime-3.1.1-2.fc18.x86_64
>
> fc18???  I thought fc17 was the latest stable release.  This looks a
> little bit experimental.
>>
>> Yes, it seems he's using the Fedora rpm package, but this might not be a
>> problem.
>>
>> Is there any chance to get this solved, or perhaps trying to compile
>> from sources is the best bet?
>>
>> Best regards
>>

> locate is better than trying to grep "who-knows-what"
>
> 	locate lib/libc
>
> on mine shows that there is a /lib/libc.so.6
> and
>
> 	file /lib/libc.so.6
>
> shows that it is a symbolic link to 'libc-2.12.so' i.e. the actual
> library in /lib
>

> Using foreign binaries is a game of Russian roulette, the only chances
> you have are "pure dumb luck" or a great deal of checking every little
> detail before pulling that trigger.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Bruce

You're right. That's the same advice I just gave him. I will move your
questions to my friend and I will be back with more information.

Thanks, Bruce

--
Jesus Guardon