[Gambas-user] Another basics

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Sat Jan 7 21:22:26 CET 2012

LyX is built on Latex and LeX and is a powerful editor for handling Latex
documents.

The book is intended to be a static document and will be released as such.
Call me old fashioned but I see a place for both static and dynamic
documents. Static documents can always be referred back to for information
and maintain the state of that information. While dynamic documents often
loose information during editing. A dynamic document is meant to provide
the latest information with as few errors as possible. But it looses the
ability to be referenced as the reference point may or may not exist at any
future point. One concern of mine about this great information age is that
so much has become dynamic and is placed in digital formats using
technologies that will become obsolete. So at some point the documents
themselves are lost due to the technology creep. A printed document may
suffer from it's inability to be modified in the field but it trades that
for its quotability and reference ability.

Having multiple authors is also a two edged sword. The benefit are that you
have multiple view points and a greater pool of knowledge to draw from.
However, you can loose constancy very easily. Resulting in a text that is
not cohesive and fails to tie points together. Editors work hard to develop
a cohesive text out of chapters penned by multiple authors. So dynamic is
not always better nor is multiple authors always better. Each approach has
it's own advantages and disadvantages.

That said, I will release the book in two forms. PDF for free download and
Self Published through Lulu for those who want a printed copy. I will
maintain the copyright but will allow free use for any purpose. I have not
chosen a license yet. But my intent is to provide a freely available source
of information for learning programming using Gambas. A website will be
setup to provide code for downloading and errata.

I am working on final edits to the first few chapters today. Since the book
is geared toward those with little or no programming experience these
chapters are more remedial than the remainder of the book and serve as an
introduction to programming.

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Dmitrij Malkov <dima.malkov.russia at ...626...
> wrote:

> > I've been writing a book on Gambas.
>
> This is great deal.
>
> > I've been writing this using Lyx but will post it on the web.
>
> Maybe LaTeX is better? I can convert It to LaTeX if you want.
>
> > So any help in correcting them and any technical direction would be nice.
>
> Books written by the community or several autors are better then books
> written by individuals. The books are being modified continuously are
> better
> then books has being released at once. What license did you choose for the
> book? If community will write some book continuously and depending on
> version of some program, LaTeX format is prefered then Lyx.
>
> > I'll post back here one I have it up.
>
> GOOD LUCK! I am in impatience.
>
> --

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?