[Gambas-user] Gambas3 Libraries problem -> Gambas 3 bug or OS distro related?

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Tue Aug 21 12:31:26 CEST 2012

On di, 2012-08-21 at 03:06 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 20/08/2012 16:25, Willy Raets a écrit :
> > Situation:
> > 1. Build a Gambas library for system information retrieval.
> > 2. Other developer installed my library (using openSuse rmp package) and
> > is using it for one  of his applications
> > 3. He send me his application and I installed it (using a .deb package)
> > 4. Application installs but does nothing (running command line it turns
> > out he is missing the depend library -> although this one is installed
> > on my system -> see attached screen SysStats-Terminal.png)
> >
> > The library on my system is installed in usr/bin and called
> > SysInfo.gambas (-> see attached screen SysInfo-Terminal.png)
> >
> > The library on his sytem is installed in usr/bin and called SysInfo
> > (without the .gambas)
> >
> > After making a symbolic link called SysInfo (referring to
> > SysInfo.gambas) his application run smoothly on my system.
> >
> > This is what we noted:
> > When I installed my gambas library (on Ubuntu) and go to the properties
> > of a project using it, it is named SysInfo.gambas
> > When he installed my gambas library (on openSuse) and goes to the
> > properties of a project using it, the library is named SysInfo
> >
> > Now it seems that when he makes a package of an application using my
> > library the dependencies looks for SysInfo
> > When I make a package of an aplication using my library the dependencies
> > look for SysInfo.gambas.
> > But installing the SysInfo .deb package on my system will ALWAYS install
> > it as SysInfo.gambas and never as SysInfo. On his system an ls of
> > usr/bin shows SysInfo (without extention .gambas)
> >
> > Is this a bug in Gambas3 or an issue of distributions working
> > differently. As I noted, I could solve it with a symbolic link, but that
> > is no graceful solution for end users.
> >
> > I attached a screen with the project properties tab libraries where top
> > is on my system and bottom is on his system.(LibraryDiff.png) Note the difference!!
> > Put distro, desktop and Gambas info of both systems on this last screen.
> >
> > Willy
> >

> OK, the bug should be fixed in revision #5061.
>
> The rule is actually the following:
> - Normal project executables are installed *without* the '.gambas'
> extension.
> - Library project executables are installed *with* the '.gambas' extension.
>
> It was not implemented correctly.
>
> Note that the 'Autotools' packager is out-of-date and needs some work to
> support all that library stuff. But all other packagers should work as
> expected.
>
> Tell me if it is ok for you!
>
> Regards,

Thanks Benoît,

I will install the latest revision this evening when I am home and get
back to you.
What do I need to repackage, I guess the Gambas library?

Willy

P.S. On my system all Gambas applications are installed with .gambas
extension (no matter if library or normal application and it has always
been that way). It is on the openSuSe that .gambas extensions are
missing for both Gambas applications and Gambas libraries.