[Gambas-user] Issue 242 in gambas: Gamba forms fail on Debian ARM

Tue Apr 24 20:36:49 CEST 2012

On 04/24/2012 03:21 AM, charlesg wrote:

> gambas-4 wrote:
>> New issue 242 by tvijlbr... at ...626...: Gamba forms fail on Debian ARM
>>
> It's early days (you're lucky if you can actually get hold of a Raspberry
> Pi) but I think a Pi with functional Gambas would have an enormous effect on
> the perception and acceptance of Gambas.
>
> The planned route to programming with the Pi is by using Python. The lack of
> integrated application gui in Python makes Gambas a much easier option. As
> has been the case through the history of personal computing, kids (of all
> ages) will cut their teeth writing games. Python does not lend itself to
> this. Gambas does.

I like that idea (I'm writing a game with GAMBAS). The RAM issue you
subsequently mentioned might not be an issue, depending on gb3 and the
distro's memory footprints. There are distros out there that use very
little RAM. I just tested gb3's memory consumption with the world
generator for my game it it uses about 70 MB of RAM just to load the
project. While functionality might be limited on the Pi, it should be
possible and would have the added benefit of teaching memory management.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues