[Gambas-user] Gambas3 & Xming

Demosthenes Koptsis demosthenesk at ...626...
Mon Apr 9 11:21:28 CEST 2012

On 04/08/2012 10:49 PM, Willy Raets wrote:
> On zo, 2012-04-08 at 22:20 +0300, Demosthenes Koptsis wrote:
>> here are some screenshots
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/i/?ehralxdlqxj30ju
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/i/?r40web2l14o93ny
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/i/?s9a7bykyrbufwib
>>
>> gambas3 on windows 7 via xming.
>>
>> Gambas3 is running on Linux Mint Debian Edition on server side
>>
> Hi Demosthenes,
>
> This opens up a world of possibilities in slowly introducing Linux and
> Gambas at my work (Windows environment and Iwould love to slowly change
> that)
>
> I suppose Xming is used as a thin client for the x-window server on
> Linux Mint Debian.
>
> Happen to have a short overview on how you set this up on both Windows
> as Linux Mint Debian side?
>
> Great going,
>
> Willy

It is very very simple to work with Xming.

1) You need a pc with a Linux distro installed as usual.
For example i have a desktop pc running Linux Mint.

You can have any distro you like.

This pc must run X server to work with Xming.

2) On any Windows machine, for example i tested from my laptop
with Win7 Home Premium you install Xming

see these pages for more details

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/
http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/

3) Finally you can run XLaunch an application of Xming package which
connects you with the Linux Machine via ip 192.168.0.1 or domain
my.domain.com

You fill the name of application you like to run.
For example gambas3, gimp, blender etc

It is good to fill font size to 96-110 because the default value is
little small

and you launch your app remotely from the server.

Note the application runs to the server and see the server file system
not laptop's one. So you have access to files of a user account.

With this way you can have a linux server with X ruunning and sell Linux
SaaS to Windows clients who they have accounts as linux users to server!

It is very simple and very clever!

For me who i love Basic and Visual more i wanted a cross platform vb for
linux and windows.

But i did not find a free one except RealBasic which is expensive for me.

With Xming i can run Gambas3 or any linux app i want to any Windows
machine !!!

Happy coding Gambas3 for windows from now on!!!