[Gambas-user] Ubuntu 11.10 64 - Build 4200

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Oct 16 00:15:56 CEST 2011

Le 14/10/2011 22:55, John Spikowski a écrit :
> I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit and just compiled build 4200 without
> issue. (limited testing - no compile errors)
>
> This release updated the Linux kernel to 3.0.0-12 and Gtk to 3. I not
> using the Unity shell and reverted back to classic as much as possible.
>
> Make sure you reserve about 5 hours to update a 11.04 system. :-(

I have finally finished my upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 too.

No problem with Ubuntu at the moment, but I want to make a big thanks to
Kmail2, Akonadi and Nepomuk.

This was the worst computing nightmare I have ever seen for a long time.

These three... entities ate all my memory, filled all my swap, took 100%
of my two cores, all that during hours, until being finally killed by
the kernel. I tried again three times, by starting for a fresh void
configuration and trying to convert my old mails, but no way... :-(

Being unable to read my mails, I finally decided to switch to
Thunderbird. Thanks to the 'xfmail2mbox.sh' script, I could convert the
maildir format to the mbox format used by Thunderbird.

So, now,the main philosophical question about all main Linux desktops is:

W...

T..

F...

!!!!!!

Should we invent some conspiration theory?

Did Microsoft paid some KDE and Gnome developers to create such a
bloated useless piece of garbage?

Hopefully, I will have a better mood after a good night.

If some other KDE users want some advices to drop KMail and use
Thunderbird, just ask!

Benoît Minisini