[Gambas-user] String and textboxes

Thu Mar 10 08:30:38 CET 2011

Am 08.03.2011 20:11, schrieb k p:
>> When doing the following:
>> TextLabel1.Text = "i"&   TextBox1.Text&   ""&   "  iEQU"&   ""&   "0"
>>
>> I expect a string in a text box, which I get.
>> However the length of the spacing stays the same no matter how many spaces
>> put between the "   "
>>
>> What I'm trying to achieve is that the output string follows my coding
>> standard.
>> Ie if I write Callbutton in TextBox1, then the output shows
>> "iCallbutton      iEQU      0"
>>
>> What am I doing wrong ?
>>
>> Kim
>

> I'm not sure what you exactly do here in your program, but your example
> above consists of string constants. You would have to vary the number of
> spaces according to the length of the strings in TextBox1.Text, such as
>
> space$(20 - string.len(TextBox1.Text))
>
> to give just an example for UTF-8.
>
> Or did I get you completely wrong here?
>
> Regards
>
> Rolf
>

> What is happening is that white spaces does NOT change in the output
> textbox, no matter how many white spaces I put in between the "   ".
> Ie " " and "            " produces the same output in the text box.
>
> So I get the following
> "iCallbutton iEQU 0"
>
> When I would expect this
> "iCallbutton      iEQU      0"
>
> Hmm
>
> Kim

Ok, that is a strange one! I'm using Gambas 2 here, there is no problem.
Maybe there's something wrong in the way UTF-8 strings are handed to the
textbox? But that would be something for Benoit - he's in charge of the
inner mystiques of the Gambas system ;-)

No: Just had this idea: Is the textbox a richtext-box? And could it be
that it interprets white spaces as mere words-separating according to
HTML? So that would explain it. Try "    " or
"   " instead, does it help?

Rolf