[Gambas-user] External library variable

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Jun 29 17:11:29 CEST 2011

> "I really don't care about the syntax."
> But I do! I'm really appreciated with the work of the Gambas team, but
> I'd like to express that the synthax is a quite important thing:
> 1. Compatibility with G2 projects
> 2. Time, a lot of times to spend hunting to find the changes, and the
> solutions for the methods you've used just like that in G2 and now in
> G3 not.
> A simple example: in G2 there was enough to write a function in order
> to have things printed out, now in G3 there are at least 2-3
> subroutines for the same task.
> IMHO this isn't as good a strategy. I don't care what lies behind the
> synthax, but it's not really efficient thing to learn the language
> over and over.
> Once again, Gambas is GREAT, but it would be better to leave the
> synthax unchanged.
> Csaba

I don't change the syntax just by fun.

The old printer syntax was not event-loop friendly (i.e. it was blocking the
GUI), so it was bad, and so I changed it.

There is a page in the wiki that aims at listing all changes between Gambas 2
and Gambas 3. Some of them are automatically handled by the IDE when
converting a project. If something is missing in that list, just tell me and I
will fix it.

Benoît Minisini