[Gambas-user] gb3 requirements on openSUSE 11.4

Sun Jul 31 22:41:32 CEST 2011

On 07/31/2011 04:02 PM, Matti wrote:
> Well, I thought about changing to another distro anyway, for some other reasons.
> The only thing is that I am used to SUSE for years now...
> Maybe Ubuntu 11.04?
> Can someone confirm that gb3 can be compiled there without significant problems?
> Or maybe another distribution is better?
>
> Any recommendations?

I'm using Debian Wheezy/Testing now, though I used to use Ubuntu. It's a
little rough around the edges but works for me. I've heard and seen good
things from Fedora, and looks pretty slick the times I've installed it
on customers' computers. I tried Linux Mint and found it to be a bit of
a hack-job, so I don't recommend it.

Ubuntu 11.04 is using Unity, which is a really weird/goofy way to
interact with the desktop and lacks any customization. It has a "classic
mode" that you can switch to from the login screen, but I heard they're
removing it in 11.10, forcing people to use Unity. That's why I dumped
it. Ubuntu 10.10 is pretty solid however, and the only reason I wouldn't
recommend using it is because eventually it will be no longer supported
and you'll have to upgrade and use Unity.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues