[Gambas-user] Issue 161 in gambas: 4296 broken

gambas at ...2524... gambas at ...2524...
Mon Dec 26 23:18:02 CET 2011

Comment #7 on issue 161 by adamn... at ...626...: 4296 broken
http://code.google.com/p/gambas/issues/detail?id=161

Well, I finally tracked it down. It was a local issue.

The problem was caused by a set of 8 or so "non-existent" printers that had
somehow been discovered by the CUPS print server on this machine. (I
believe _that_ was caused by a recent reconfiguration of my network).

Anyway, for interest sake, here's what was happening.

Gambas3 was starting up correctly all the time. However, it was taking over
half an hour for the welcome screen to show up.  I found that out on
Christmas day, I tried starting it up again after another trunk
update/reconf/etc and got called to go out to lunch. Instead of killing the
job I just "accidentally" left it running.

When we returned 6 hours later the Welcome screen was there!

I loaded the IDE project and stepped through it, line by line and found
that it appeared to hang in FMain._new on the line FHelpBrowser.Load (line
41) and sure enough after about half an hour it continued properly.  Aha! I
thought.  Maybe I have broken one of the WebKit libraries.

So I spent all yesterday reloading and recompiling every WebKit oriented
library on this system. Nothing improved.  What was worse, both the WebView
example and a little project I made up with a WebView control worked fine.

This morning I had an epiphany (as in "a sudden, intuitive perception of or
insight into the reality or essential meaning of something")!  What else on
the FHelpBrowser form could cause this.  How about the Printer control?
Sure enough as soon as I added a printer control to my little test project
it exhibited the same behavior.

Seeing as there are no printers directly connected to this machine I just
had a look at the CUPS manager and discovered the phantom printers, about a
dozen of them.  All of them with the same name as the default network
printer. (Note the CUPS "name" of a printer is a fairly meaningless term.)

With a bit of effort I have cleaned up the CUPS server and now gambas3
starts and runs as it did before. Yahoo!

I have provided the above to ask you this.  When the printer control is
created I think that it is "polling" each printer or more to the point,
printer queue, it is told about by the system until it either times out or
gets some response and the wait time appears to be quite long.  Is this
true?