[Gambas-user] Big Gambas3 slowdown on hex edit / compare program

Caveat Gambas at ...1950...
Thu Dec 15 01:51:15 CET 2011

> What amazes me is that you see nothing wrong with your design

That's untrue, I do see the design as a little unwieldy.  And sometimes,
poor designs just grow out of what may have been a nice idea at the
start... I certainly didn't start out with the intention of having 8000+
controls.  You should also remember that this is a hobby, something some
of us do for fun, so we're not going to spend hours writing design
documents and holding requirements gathering sessions!
But, having said all that, I love the look of the custom built GUI, it
lends an idea of the structure of the Mifare card, showing the card as
arranged in blocks of 16 bytes, in sectors of 4 blocks...you see the
keys at the end of each block...the nature of the textboxes intuits to
you that's it's an editable view...
And finally, if I choose qt4, there is no problem with the design.  My
4k Mifare GUI builds in 3 seconds flat!!

You may still not like the design, you may think the program should be
scalable, that it should have a command-line interface, that it should
window through the data and read files of arbitrary lengths. but it's my
program, doing what I want it to do... and that is simply to compare 1k
and 4k Mifare cards and present the differences nicely.  And maybe one
day to allow editing of the card data too...

I couldn't see (until Benoit kindly helped out) how to make all the
individual bytes in the binary file editable using any of the ...view
controls, which is why I didn't choose for them in the first place.  I
probably should have read the documentation more thoroughly but then
wouldn't have benefited from the enriching experience of interacting
with the fine people on on this mailing list.

>On a positive note, it's good to have folks pushing Gambas to the
limits.

Indeed, and we've now discovered that the problem is only apparent when
using gtk+.  I'm sure Benoit will keep us posted.

Regards,
Caveat