[Gambas-user] CGI programming example

John Spikowski support at ...2529...
Sun Dec 4 04:23:06 CET 2011

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 02:52 +0100, Benoît Minisini wrote:

> Everything needed to program CGI scripts is located in the gb.web
> component, that provides an ASP-like interface to handle requests,
>
> I use it to develop a big project in my job : sort of MS-Access on the
> web, with support for Google Maps, GPS tracking, PDF/OpenOffice document
> generation, custom map layers...
>
> By interfacing it with a light web server, I got something faster and
> easier to maintain than anything I could have wrote in Python, PHP or
> Perl. I've never heard from ScriptBasic, so I can't tell you about it.

That is good news to hear.

Where could one find the documentation (supported language syntax) for
the console mode Gambas interpreter?

ScriptBasic:

The first production stable version of ScriptBasic arrived around 1999
or so. It was written by Peter Verhas (Budapest, Hungary) and I picked
up the project manager spot in 2005. (Seattle WA area)

One of the ScriptBasic variation examples that comes with the
distribution is a multi-threaded http web server that installs itself as
a service. It supports session variables and a common R/W lockable
variable pool. Your database options are MySQL, PostgreSQL and ODBC. In
most cases the ScriptBasic web/application server is run as a proxy
server with Apache. ScriptBasic runs on Windows, Linux and OS X. (32/64
bit)

By design, ScriptBasic is an embeddable scripting API. A console mode
interpreter (embedding example), webserver (multi-threaded embedding
example) and example scripts along with extensive user and developer
documentation are provided in the LGPL download. There is only one
source tree that compiles on all platforms.

That's about it in a nutshell.