[Gambas-user] Gambasdoc.org hosting (wiki)

Tue Apr 12 03:17:25 CEST 2011

On 04/11/2011 09:51 AM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>> Hi, my name is Rob Kudla.  I've been providing hosting for the Gambas
>> wiki at gambasdoc.org for about 6 years.  The wiki needs a new host.

>> If anyone can take this over, please let me and/or Benoit know.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rob
> Mmm. Not a lot of answers...

Not sure if this would be the best place to host the documentation from,
but I have a Comcast Business Class connection that can sustain 640 KB/s
upstream. That's 52.7 GB a day if the connection was constantly
saturated. That bandwidth is used for light traffic to eightvirtues.com
and regular LAN Internet usage. I also host some system restoration DVDs
via BitTorrent (legal) but they're QOS'ed to 192 KB/s and rarely downloaded.

Over the last 1.9 years my port 80 uptime is 98.678%, which isn't great,
but is pretty good considering I don't have a dedicated team managing
it. I do live here, however, so when things go down I get them back up
pretty quickly. I have a quad core 2.3 GHz server and can upgrade the
RAM as necessary. It's running Ubuntu 10.10 ia64 on a software RAID 5
using 6 1 TB hard drives with LVM and has 1.4 TB of free space. My
gateway, switch and server are on a UPS that keeps everything alive for
30 minutes during power failures (this has been tested by real-world
power failures). I can set up a VM with a bridged static IP dedicated to
the GAMBAS docs. Benoît could have whatever level of access to the VM is
required.

I only have one static IP address, so I'd need some help/advice setting
it up to use more than one domain name if that's possible (I'm not an
expert on that sort of thing). Otherwise I'd have to get a second static
IP or set up a subdomain.

This wouldn't exactly be a professionally hosted solution at some
hardened datacenter, but I thought I should put it on the table for
consideration. Let me know, as I can put together a VM and proper port
forwarding as soon as tonight if Benoît wants to start playing with it.

Also, thanks Rob for hosting the site for so long. Much appreciated!

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues