[Gambas-user] gb2: having same project open twice and code saving

kevinfishburne kevinfishburne at ...1887...
Tue Sep 28 04:30:34 CEST 2010

The project I'm working on has a client module and server module, with shared
modules/procedures/variables between the two. The user chooses the mode from
a GUI upon running it. Consequently I have it running in client mode on bare
metal and server mode in a virtual machine with a separate IP address. The
project files are accessed from both IDE instances over an NFS share.

I've also noticed that GAMBAS will occasionally autosave, and sometimes
warns that the project is already open, but not always. My questions are:

1) Why does GAMBAS only sometimes warn that the project is already open, but
not always?

2) Under what conditions does GAMBAS autosave a project?

3) When clicking "Save Project" from the File menu, does it save everything
or just what it thinks has been modified?

4) What behavior should I expect with regard to the project files being
modified unpredictably by having it opened twice simultaneously?

I could separate the client and server into two projects, but this would
produce duplicate code or otherwise fundamental changes in the code
structure.

Finally I think it would be useful to address this specific scenario as a
feature addition perhaps in GAMBAS 3. It would be nice if GAMBAS could be
made aware of a single project being run and edited on multiple networked
machines so that it stayed synchronized, regardless of which machine the
project was being edited from.

-----
Kevin Fishburne, Eight Virtues
www:  http://sales.eightvirtues.com http://sales.eightvirtues.com
e-mail:  mailto:sales at ...1887... sales at ...1887...
phone: (770) 853-6271