[Gambas-user] Result object, again

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Nov 24 23:51:12 CET 2010

> good evening all,
> i have another question about my eternal punishment: the result object :-)
>
> caveat answered to a former question about results in general:
>  >If you got into the habit of reading all the
>  >records you've selected into memory (or even if the Result object
>  >worked
>  >that way behind the scenes...), you'd soon find everything breaking >with
>  >Out Of Memory errors as soon as you start doing anything serious.
>
> my question now is, how the result works behind the scenes, is there a
> counter (result.index?) that tells a layer (the driver?) which record is
> to be given back?
>
> regards,
> tobi

A result object stores the entire query of the result in memory, because of
the stupidity of most SQL backends.

The gb.db.form implements a system that only keep a small part of the query
result, by using the ">" operator on the table key, "Order By", and the
Limit() method. That way, you can use a DataBrowser to browse a table that is
located on a far server easily.

Benoît Minisini