[Gambas-user] CDE. An interesting packaging tool

Sun Nov 14 13:47:19 CET 2010

Benoît Minisini ha scritto:
>> Although I'm not a gambas developer, I appreciate the idea. I would prefer
>> to have all the must-haves packaged into single file, instead of fighting
>> with unresolved package dependencies. It's better to have a myprogram.bin
>> installer, than myprogram.rpm, myprogram.deb... Maybe Benoit would argue
>> because of the package size. It's more like Windows. But who cares. If I'd
>> be sure my program will run independently of the Linux platform flavor, I'd
>> yes to size increment.
>>
>> Csaba
>>

> This is exactly what Cristian Abarzua F. (craf) tried to achieve. But it did
> it by hand, I tried to help him, but we encountered problems.
>
> Apparently 'cde' seems to work, so I should try it and integrate it inside the
> IDE packager.
>
> So, no I'm not fully against that kind of package now. Except that users
> should be aware of the following:
>
> - They will be bigger (imagine a full Gambas GUI program relying of a lot of
> components).
>
> - System security fix and updates won't apply to them. So packagers must
> regularly repackage them. (Same nightmare as in windows).

I add a simple thought: shared libraries are a nice and fundamental
concept in operating systems... if only they worked the way they should.
Problems about shared libraries are *not* gambas problems - they are
operating system ones. Trying to solve this issue in an improper manner
can (and probably will) lead to add problems to problems. From a pure,
theoretical point of view, this idea is really wrong, as it intereferes
heavily with a beatiful concept. That said, anyone is free to interefere
as much as wanted... eventually with success...

Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."