[Gambas-user] CDE. An interesting packaging tool

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Nov 14 12:43:43 CET 2010

> > > Although I'm not a gambas developer, I appreciate the idea. I would
> > > prefer to have all the must-haves packaged into single file, instead of
> > > fighting with unresolved package dependencies. It's better to have a
> > > myprogram.bin installer, than myprogram.rpm, myprogram.deb... Maybe
> > > Benoit would argue because of the package size. It's more like Windows.
> > > But who cares. If I'd be sure my program will run independently of the
> > > Linux platform flavor, I'd yes to size increment.
> > >
> > > Csaba
> >
> > This is exactly what Cristian Abarzua F. (craf) tried to achieve. But it
> > did it by hand, I tried to help him, but we encountered problems.
> >
> > Apparently 'cde' seems to work, so I should try it and integrate it
> > inside the IDE packager.
> >
> > So, no I'm not fully against that kind of package now. Except that users
> > should be aware of the following:
> >
> > - They will be bigger (imagine a full Gambas GUI program relying of a lot
> > of components).
> >
> > - System security fix and updates won't apply to them. So packagers must
> > regularly repackage them. (Same nightmare as in windows).
> >
> > Regards,
>
> Another possible problem: Gambas can load a component during the execution
> of a program (Component.Load() method), not necesarilly at startup. So you
> must take that into account when making a cde package!
>
> Moreover, some component uses that feature. For example, the Gambas 3
> gb.form.stock hidden component included a full stock of icons that is
> loaded only if an icon is not found in the Gnome or KDE icon themes
> installed on the system (which is very possible if you didn't install both
> Gnome and KDE).
>
> Regards,

Another problem again:

cde will store in the packages *all* existing files opened by the program
during its execution. Maybe I should take the source code of 'cde' and modify
it to only store the shared libraries?

--
Benoît Minisini