[Gambas-user] CDE. An interesting packaging tool

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Nov 14 12:17:33 CET 2010

> Although I'm not a gambas developer, I appreciate the idea. I would prefer
> to have all the must-haves packaged into single file, instead of fighting
> with unresolved package dependencies. It's better to have a myprogram.bin
> installer, than myprogram.rpm, myprogram.deb... Maybe Benoit would argue
> because of the package size. It's more like Windows. But who cares. If I'd
> be sure my program will run independently of the Linux platform flavor, I'd
> yes to size increment.
>
> Csaba

This is exactly what Cristian Abarzua F. (craf) tried to achieve. But it did
it by hand, I tried to help him, but we encountered problems.

Apparently 'cde' seems to work, so I should try it and integrate it inside the
IDE packager.

So, no I'm not fully against that kind of package now. Except that users
should be aware of the following:

- They will be bigger (imagine a full Gambas GUI program relying of a lot of
components).

- System security fix and updates won't apply to them. So packagers must
regularly repackage them. (Same nightmare as in windows).

Benoît Minisini