[Gambas-user] MOD arithetic operator

Tue Nov 9 09:08:52 CET 2010

user ha scritto:
> i am not the person that should answer but i will as i understood well
> as possible the concept of Gambas ..
>
> i think Gambas concept is to keep a Basic style language as possible
> can. So an % operator is a foreign word for a Basic language.
>
> >From the other hand it would be nice Gambas to be a better Basic
> language with the meaning to have the good things of other languages but
> with Basic style so to be an advanced Basic more strong to be near other
> Linux style languages.
>
> As i know Basic does not have pointers either.
> But Gambas 3 has!
>
> And the EXTERN function leads things more than a Basic language.
>
> So in my opinion an % operator is not so big deal thing to be out of a
> Basic language.

Sorry to drop in - I only want to point out that MOD *is* an operator,
and works just like "%".
By putting "%" in gambas, you could do modulus using a single keystroke
instead of three (five, counting the necessary spaces around...). You
would also gain then "%=" operation (I wonder who in gambas misses
things like this one). This could be a great deal, perhaps... but I
don't think (just my opinion). I can not understand why people knowing C
and C++ would like to turn gambas in a language where it is possible to
write things like

while (c%=*++b->h!=!n^k);

Is it so painful to write "a = c mod b" instead of "a = c % b"? There
are not enough symbols on the keyboard to express all the possible
operations... so let stay with the most useful ones (the four arithmetic
operations). I think that the integer division "\" should disappear, in
favor of DIV. Would you say, instead, that gambas needs also &, &&, |,
||, and so on? No? Why not? It's the same as "%"...

Hope to not having hurted you: it's just my opinion which contrasts with

Regards,
Doriano