[Gambas-user] Requests for Gambas3

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Nov 7 21:55:11 CET 2010

> Dear Benoit and all,
> I'm writing this request as serious cry for your reconsideration and help.
> I was using Gambas2 on various distributions, and I'm trying to maintain
> the GamCat project, which is written in Gambas2, but it is harder and
> harder to do. First I've heard that openSuse is not following your concept
> of packaging the components, so they don't have gambas2-gb-sdl-sound
> component at all. Some times ago the component gambas2-gb-qt-kde has
> disappeared from Mandriva too. PCLinuxOS have only one package for gambas2
> so it IS impossible to use projects written in G2 on various Linux
> distributions. In fact, only *buntu has full G2 support today, and this is
> a big regression. What I suggest is:
> - Have only two packages for the entire G3: one for the IDE component (for
> those not using G3 for development) and the rest of the components shipped
> in a single package.
>
> I have good reasons for that: gambas is not bigger than around 40MB. This
> is not a big size. I'd like to see gambas as a widely usable framework,
> not what is today. It would be so nice just to fire up the gambas3 package
> and have working applications written in it. Today I can't say gambas2 is
> very useful, because I can't force a user of e.g. GamCat to compile
> gambas2 from sources in order to have all the possible opions at hand. It
> is a real pain to package projects for different kind of Linuxes. It would
> be a pity for this great work to become a narrowing chunk. We cannot force
> packagers to obey the packaging rules of the many components, and the
> situation is really insane. Please consider it, for the project's sake.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Csaba

Gambas is packaged the same way as other interpreted languages (python, perl,
mono...)

Distributions remove some gambas packages because they have removed the
library they used. So using a different packaging will change nothing : you
will get a non-working gambas component instead of nothing. Not really
better...

Putting everything in a single package is a very stupid idea, because it will
force to install every Gambas dependencies, which is far more than 40 Mb!

An intermediate solution is the ability of making self-contained package, like
Google does with Google Earth for example.

I think the situation will become better with Gambas 3, because it will use
recent libraries.

Benoît Minisini