[Gambas-user] Requests for Gambas3

M. Cs. mohareve at ...626...
Sun Nov 7 21:10:41 CET 2010

Dear Benoit and all,
I'm writing this request as serious cry for your reconsideration and help.
I was using Gambas2 on various distributions, and I'm trying to maintain the
GamCat project, which is written in Gambas2, but it is harder and harder to
do. First I've heard that openSuse is not following your concept of
packaging the components, so they don't have gambas2-gb-sdl-sound component
at all. Some times ago the component gambas2-gb-qt-kde has disappeared from
Mandriva too. PCLinuxOS have only one package for gambas2 so it IS
impossible to use projects written in G2 on various Linux distributions. In
fact, only *buntu has full G2 support today, and this is a big regression.
What I suggest is:
- Have only two packages for the entire G3: one for the IDE component (for
those not using G3 for development) and the rest of the components shipped
in a single package.

I have good reasons for that: gambas is not bigger than around 40MB. This is
not a big size. I'd like to see gambas as a widely usable framework, not
what is today. It would be so nice just to fire up the gambas3 package and
have working applications written in it. Today I can't say gambas2 is very
useful, because I can't force a user of e.g. GamCat to compile gambas2 from
sources in order to have all the possible opions at hand. It is a real pain
to package projects for different kind of Linuxes. It would be a pity for
this great work to become a narrowing chunk. We cannot force packagers to
obey the packaging rules of the many components, and the situation is really
insane. Please consider it, for the project's sake.

Thank you!

Csaba