[Gambas-user] Gambas for windows, how?

Fri May 28 08:46:24 CEST 2010

Tomas Rodriguez ha scritto:
> I like that solution, actually I installed already the andlinux, and
> xming(andlinux installation ask me if I wanna install too), but what should
> I do now? after the installation, how can I install gambas and how can I
> have access to gambas since windows.

Question one: how to install gambas.
The (now old) AndLinux I installed was an Ubuntu distribution. I used
synaptic to install everything I needed. To be sincere, I poked it in
many ways and used debian repositories, and now it is more a debian than
an ubuntu; to install gambas I copied the whole bunch of its files to
the file system, instead of using a package manager.
Anyway, the final reply to the question is: use any method you prefer:
source compilation or package install. I would prefer the second -
easier and faster.

Question two: how to access your gambas application from windows.
When you start andlinux, it normally ends up with showing a nice xfce
panel which you can customize - delete the unwanted icons and add as
many you need.

You can instead modify (as I did) the start-up sequence of the system:
    in file /etc/inittab, a call to
/usr/bin/X11/startwindowsterminalsession is made
    in file /usr/bin/X11/startwindowsterminalsession, the command
specified by /etc/winterm is launched

The file /etc/winterm contained the xfce panel - I replaced it with:

    /usr/local/bin/rxvt -title AndLinux

"rxvt" is a small script which launches an mrxvt (multitab X terminal -
it does *exactly* what I need and nothing more...).

As you can see, you can modify things at different points. I would
choose to modify /etc/winterm to launch my gambas application.

Even if you modify the startup sequence, restricting access to the final
programs only, you can always enter the system if you need to do some
maintenance - the andlinux software installs some links in the windoze
start menu: in my case, there is a couple of terminal sessions where you
can log in and do everything you want. So you can leave your customer
with an easy icon to launch, still keeping a way for you (under
password) to do administration.

The only thing to add is that, giving you only edit /etc/winterm, that
the command there specified will be re-started again and again, because
of the way it is called (from inittab). The simplest way to solve is to
include in your script a "shutdown" command in the last line; I mean,
/etc/winterm should contain the name of a script, like
/usr/local/bin/userapplication, which contains something like

    /somepath/someapplication.gambas
    halt   # shutdown andlinux, not the computer!

Anyway, you can do other kinds of modifications - the andlinux system is
a normal unix system, so it gives you full control on every aspect. This
is why I reported the whole startup sequence, starting from /etc/inittab.

Hope this helps - ask more if in need,
cheers,
Doriano.