[Gambas-user] Runaway memory consumption not released until program exit

Richard richard.j.walker at ...247...
Sat May 8 18:13:59 CEST 2010

On Saturday 08 May 2010 16:37:27 Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > > Do you use gb.qt or gb.gtk?
> >
> > Ah Benoit! Always the difficult questions :-p) According to the test
> > project's components list it uses gb, gb.form, gb.gui and gb.image. The
> > desktop/window manager is LXDE for the 2.16 and 2.20 tests. The 2.4 test
> > was carried out in KDE.
> >
> > I have just tried to select gb.qt for the test project but it said that
> > gb.qt is incompatible with gb.gui. So I de-selected gb.gui and wasn't
> > prevented from now selecting gb.qt.
> >
> > Recompiled and re-run and the test works perfectly. Thank you thank you
> > thank you! I have never given any thought in the past about which toolkit
> > I was using. Being a devotee of KDE, up to v3.5, I suppose I have always
> > used gb.qt etc. Now since Mandriva 2010 I am forced to seek an
> > alternative to KDE as 4.3 is too much like Windows for my liking,
> > certainly in terms of its poor performance. I have been using LXDE
> > without realising that it might be using the gtk toolkit.
> >
> > Now I have a solution I can easily deploy to my brother's PC (a clone of
> > the one I develop on for him). Ooops, spoke too soon. The working project
> > compiles ok but breaks now where I test the presence of an object in a
> > collection. Looks like the place I get the collection key is not
> > initialising. It is a ComboBox which I fill in one splash with DIr(path,
> > pattern, gb.File). Must be a difference in qt and gtk combo boxes.
> > Shouldn't take too long to fix though.
> >
> > Thanks again for your help with this.
> >
> > Richard
>
> I fixed the memory leak in revision #2937 for Gambas 2 and revision #2938
> for Gambas 3. So, if you need, you can use gb.gtk again!
>
> Regards,

Thank you Benoît, I am preparing a system right now so I can build revision
#2937. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to transfer to my brother's PC. I
am trying to keep it as clean and minimal as possible as he is far away on a
slow internet connection and remote updates can be ... problematical.

I was hoping to avoid the change by using the qt component but it just looks
too ugly! I cannot see why it looks so completely different on the LXDE
desktop as most of the other qt-based programs (qjackctl for instance) look
very similar to the gtk-based Gambas programs. As I said, I've never really
given much thought to the topic of themes and different gui toolkits.

Richard