[Gambas-user] best components for game graphics development

Laurent Carlier lordheavym at ...626...
Sat Mar 20 12:30:10 CET 2010

Le Mardi 16 Mars 2010 06:32:43, kevinfishburne a écrit :
> I'm developing a game which requires static polygonal model rendering with
> 2D "bit blitting"-style overlays. These are my eventual requirements:
>
> 1) Render a 3D heightmap with arbitrarily-specified tileable texture maps.
> 2) Render static 3D models on top of the heightmap.
> 3) Render 2D images on top of the heightmap.
> 4) Rotate and scale 2D images.
> 5) Modify the alpha channel of 2D images.
>
> To reduce the development time required to make the game playable, the
> client app's scene renderer will initially be implemented in pure 2D, but
> I'd like the final product to use both 3D and 2D. My questions are:
>
> 1) Which GAMBAS components use graphics hardware acceleration, either
> through OpenGL directly or via the OS's display manager (OpenGL with a
> middle man).
> 2) Which GAMBAS components, hardware accelerated or not, render graphics
> the fastest.
> 3) What are any general graphics-related tips you may have regarding my
> requirements?
> 4) Is there anything in the GAMBAS development pipeline that I should be
> anticipating?
>
> Thanks all. With its ease of use, I'm hoping GAMBAS could be the XNA of
> Linux and OSS indie game development and am doing my part to make it so.
>
> -----
> Kevin Fishburne, Eight Virtues
> www:  http://sales.eightvirtues.com http://sales.eightvirtues.com
> e-mail:  mailto:sales at ...1887... sales at ...1887...
> phone: (770) 853-6271

Bad news:

Currently there isn't really available components to produce "easy to use" 3d
graphics except opengl component (through sdl/qt components). All you need
should be implemented in gambas code.

Less bad news:

I've start some experiments with the ogre3d engine (http://www.ogre3d.org/)
It's in an really early stage but it should meet at least some requirements
you need, perhaps all of them, but it won't be ready for a long time.

++