[Gambas-user] best components for game graphics development

kevinfishburne kevinfishburne at ...1887...
Tue Mar 16 06:32:43 CET 2010

I'm developing a game which requires static polygonal model rendering with 2D
"bit blitting"-style overlays. These are my eventual requirements:

1) Render a 3D heightmap with arbitrarily-specified tileable texture maps.
2) Render static 3D models on top of the heightmap.
3) Render 2D images on top of the heightmap.
4) Rotate and scale 2D images.
5) Modify the alpha channel of 2D images.

To reduce the development time required to make the game playable, the
client app's scene renderer will initially be implemented in pure 2D, but
I'd like the final product to use both 3D and 2D. My questions are:

1) Which GAMBAS components use graphics hardware acceleration, either
through OpenGL directly or via the OS's display manager (OpenGL with a
middle man).
2) Which GAMBAS components, hardware accelerated or not, render graphics the
fastest.
3) What are any general graphics-related tips you may have regarding my
requirements?
4) Is there anything in the GAMBAS development pipeline that I should be
anticipating?

Thanks all. With its ease of use, I'm hoping GAMBAS could be the XNA of
Linux and OSS indie game development and am doing my part to make it so.

-----
Kevin Fishburne, Eight Virtues
www:  http://sales.eightvirtues.com http://sales.eightvirtues.com
e-mail:  mailto:sales at ...1887... sales at ...1887...
phone: (770) 853-6271